In addition to working as a speech-language patholgoists, I am also a passionate researcher in the field of early childhood development.
Brief Overview of Research Interests
The overarching goal of my research is to inform the development of high quality, equitable, culturally appropriate health and education services to facilitate positive engagement in society and equity of opportunity for all.
My program of research has two main foci:
(1) To investigate and support children’s speech, language and communication development. I am specifically engaged in research to enhance equity for children in rural areas and culturally and linguistically diverse families from migrant and refugee backgrounds.
(2) To facilitate the development of culturally responsive professionals and workplaces that support people from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds to participate in safe and respectful spaces that facilitate positive lifelong outcomes.
Below is a list of some of my recent publications. A full list of my published works is available on my CV in the on the contact page.
- Verdon, S. (2020). Awakening a critical consciousness among multidisciplinary professionals supporting culturally and linguistically diverse families. Child Care in Practice. https://doi.org/10.1080/13575279.2018.1516626
- Curtin, M., Brooks, R, Verdon, S., Crockett, J., Hodgkins, G. (2020). The Impact of Bushfire on the wellbeing of Children Living in Rural and Remote Australia: A systematic review. Medical Journal of Australia.
- Cronin, A., Verdon, S., & McLeod, S. (2020). Holistic considerations for family-centred practice with children with cleft palate. Journal of Clinical Practice in Speech-Language Pathology.
- McLeod, S., Margetson, K., Wang, C., Tran, V. T., Verdon, S., White, K., & Phạm, B. (2020, in press December). Speech acquisition within a 3-generation Vietnamese-English family: The influence of maturation and ambient phonology. Clinical Linguistics and Phonetics.
- Clark, E., Easton, C., & Verdon, S. (2020). Australian Speech-Language Pathologists’ Attitudes towards Non-Standard Dialects of English. Clinical Linguistics & Phonetics.
- Cronin, A., McLeod, S., & Verdon, S. (2020). Holistic communication assessment for young children with cleft palate using the International Classification of Functioning, Disability and Health: Children and Youth. Language, Speech, and Hearing Services in Schools, 51(4), 914-938. https://doi.org/doi:10.1044/2020_LSHSS-19-00122
- Blake, H. L., McLeod, S., & Verdon, S. (2020). Intelligibility Enhancement Assessment and Intervention: a single-case experimental design with two multilingual university students. Clinical Linguistics & Phonetics 34, 1-20.
- Blake, H. L., McLeod, S., Verdon, S. & Fuller, G. (2018). The relationship between spoken English proficiency and participation in higher education, employment and income from two Australian censuses. International Journal of Speech-Language Pathology, 20(2), 202-215. doi: 10.1080/17549507.2016.1229031.
- McLeod, S., Verdon, S., & International Expert Panel on Multilingual Children’s Speech (2018). Tutorial: Speech assessment for multilingual children who do not speak the same language(s) as the speech-language pathologist. American Journal of Speech-Language Pathology, 26, 691-708. doi: 10.1044/2017_AJSLP-15-0161
- Verdon, S., Wong, S., & McLeod, S. (2016). Shared knowledge and mutual respect: Enhancing culturally competent practice through collaboration with families and communities. Child Language Teaching and Therapy, 32(2), 205-221. doi: 10.1177/0265659015620254.
- Verdon, S., McLeod, S., & Wong, S. (2015). Supporting culturally and linguistically diverse children with speech, language and communication needs: Overarching principles, individual approaches. Journal of Communication Disorders, 58, 74-90.doi: 10.1016/j.jcomdis.2015.10.002
- McCormack, J. & Verdon, S. (2015). Mapping speech pathology services to developmentally vulnerable and at risk communities using the Australian Early Development Census. International Journal of Speech-Language Pathology, 17(3), 273-286. doi: 10.3109/17549507.2015.1034175
Forthcoming: Speech Pathology Australia [Project officer Verdon, S.] (2021). Culturally Responsive Speech Pathology Practice: Position paper. Melbourne, Australia: Author.